- 1 whole chicken
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch rosemary
- 2 cups POM Wonderful Pomegranates (or 2 cups POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice)
- 4 whole shallots, peeled and julienned
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- 3 whole avocados
- 1 quart arugula, rough chopped
- 1 small bag mixed lettuces
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- zest from 2 lemons
Drying the Chicken: (should be done at least the night before)
- Rub or pat salt onto breasts, legs and thighs of chicken.
- Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Set open bag in a large bowl, keeping chicken breast side up.
- Chill for up to 2 days, but at least 8 hours.
To Roast Chicken:
- Arrange a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 500°F.
- Prepare fresh pomegranate juice, if necessary.*
- Set a wire rack in a large heavy roasting pan. Remove chicken from bag. Pat dry with paper towels (do not rinse).
- Place chicken on prepared rack, breast side up.
- Use half the thyme and rosemary bunches to stuff in the cavity and the other half to season the outside of the bird before roasting.
- Loosely tie legs together with kitchen twine and tuck wing tips under. Brush chicken all over with some olive oil.
- Roast chicken, brushing with olive oil after 15 minutes, until skin is light golden brown and taut, about 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Remove chicken from oven and brush with more oil. Let rest for 15–20 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, pour 2 cups of pomegranate juice into a non-reactive pan and reduce by half.
- Pour reduced pomegranate juice into a chilled bowl, along with julienned shallots, whisking in 2 tablespoons chili flakes, 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil and kosher salt to taste.
- Cut avocados in half, discard the pit, and scoop the flesh out. Cut into ½" cubes and place in bowl with POM Vinaigrette.
- Add the arugula and lettuces; lightly mix.
- Return the chicken to the oven and roast for 40–45 minutes, until the skin is golden brown and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F.
- Let rest for 20 minutes, then carve.
- Place dressed avocado and greens onto a plate and put carved chicken on top.
- Sprinkle the feta onto chicken and salad, and lightly spoon any leftover dressing onto chicken.