1 3⁄ 4 cups arils from POM Wonderful Pomegranates
(or 1 3⁄4 cups POM POMS Fresh Arils)
3/4 lb. unsalted butter, softened
2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
8 whole eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon orange zest
3 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare fresh pomegranate arils, if necessary.*
- Combine all of the dry ingredients except sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the softened butter and sugar together, then incorporate the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter mixture and completely incorporate.
- Slowly add the flour mixture 1⁄2 cup at a time, making sure to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl often.
- Once all of the flour is added, add the orange zest and juice, and continue to beat on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- While the batter is mixing, grease and flour a standard bundt or tube pan.
- After 5 minutes, gently fold the pomegranate arils into the batter using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 11⁄2 hours or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes before unmolding.
- Serve with whipped cream and additional pomegranate arils.
*To prepare fresh arils, score 2–3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranates under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1 3/4 cups of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)