3 cups juice from POM Wonderful Pomegranates
(or 3 cups POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice)
¼ cup sugar
juice from 1 lemon
¼ cup POM Molasses
¾ cup arils from POM Wonderful Pomegranates
(or ¾ cup POM POMS Fresh Arils)
20 Brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup chestnuts, crushed
- Prepare fresh pomegranate juice, if necessary.*
- Combine pomegranate juice, sugar and juice from one lemon in a saucepan; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce until a very thick syrup forms that can thickly coat the back of a spoon, then cool to room temperature.
- Prepare fresh pomegranate arils, if necessary.**
- Cut Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise. Blanch in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes or until tender, then shock in ice water to cool.
- In a large sauté pan, heat some olive oil over medium heat to the smoke point. Remove the pan from heat to add the sprouts. Place back over heat and continue to roast. Add butter to even out browning color to sprouts.
- Once golden brown, remove from pan and add POM Molasses, arils, lemon juice and crushed chestnuts to finish on top.
*For 3 cups of juice, cut 6–9 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
**To prepare fresh arils, score 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve ¾ cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)