1 lb. ground lamb
¼ cup shallots, finely diced
1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
3 tablespoons mint, chopped
3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
½ cup bread crumbs
½ cup chicken stock
1 4-oz. container Greek yogurt
juice from ½ lemon
1 cup arils from POM Wonderful Pomegranates
(or 1 cup POM POMS Fresh Arils)
2 tablespoons mint, chopped
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the lamb, shallots, garlic, spices and herbs.
- Pour the chicken stock over the bread crumbs and add to the lamb mix; combine well.
- Portion meatballs into desired size.
- In a hot pan with olive oil, sear the meatballs on medium-high heat. (Depending on the size of the meatballs and if you prefer the center to be slightly rare, searing in the pan just until browned will be fine. If you prefer a well-done center, place the meatballs in a 400°F oven for an additional 5–8 minutes.)
- Mix the yogurt with the lemon juice until smooth.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Prepare fresh pomegranate arils, if necessary.*
- Add the arils, mint, parsley, lemon zest, olive oil and red wine vinegar together; salt and pepper to taste.
- Line the meatballs on a plate and put a dollop of the yogurt on each.
- Liberally sprinkle with the Pomegranate-Mint Relish.
*To prepare fresh arils, score 1–2 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranates under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1 cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)