3 cups juice from POM Wonderful Pomegranates
(or 3 cups POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice)
1/4 cup sugar
juice from 1 lemon
1 cup diced onion
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups black rice
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup arils from 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate
1 tablespoon POM molasses
3 tablespoons finely diced shallots
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup diced, peeled Fuyu persimmon
1 tablespoon sliced flat-leaf parsley
6 5-oz. portions Alaska halibut
6 oz. mizuna
1. Sauté the onion and thyme in 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt until translucent.
2. Add the rice, stir to coat and toast slightly. Add the wine and reduce by half.
3. Add 4 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt; bring to a boil.
4. Turn heat down to low and simmer about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender but still al dente. When the rice is almost done, stir continuously until all the liquid is evaporated.
5. Stir in the butter and taste for seasoning.
1. Prepare fresh pomegranate juice, if necessary.*
2. Combine pomegranate juice, sugar and juice from one lemon in a saucepan; bring to a simmer.
3. Reduce until a very thick syrup forms that can thickly coat the back of a spoon, then cool to room temperature.
1. Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup of the arils from the fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
2. While the rice is cooking, place the shallots, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Wait 5 minutes, and then whisk in pomegranate molasses and 1/4 cup olive oil. Stir in the fresh pomegranate arils, persimmon and parsley.
1. Grill the halibut over hot coals or medium high heat on a gas grill.
2. Plating: Spoon the rice onto 6 dinner plates and scatter the mizuna on top. Place the grilled halibut on the rice and spoon over the salsa. Serve this pomegranate recipe.
* For 3 cups of juice, cut 6–9 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.