¼ cup juice from POM Wonderful Pomegranates
(or ¼ cup POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice)
¾ cup arils from POM Wonderful Pomegranates
(or ¾ cup POM POMS Fresh Arils)
1 teaspoon grapefruit zest, grated
1 teaspoon lime zest, grated
½ cup fresh grapefruit juice
1 tablespoon jalapeño chili with seeds, diced
1 teaspoon ground toasted coriander
1 lb. black sea bass fillet, cut into ½" pieces
1 grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
fresh cilantro leaves
Note: When in season (Nov.–April),
consider using Texas Ruby Red
- Prepare fresh pomegranate juice, if necessary.*
- Prepare fresh pomegranate arils, if necessary.**
- Combine the zests, juices, jalapeño and coriander in a bowl to form the base. Stir to mix well.
- Season the fish with salt and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Add the fish to the ceviche base and stir, making sure all the fish is covered by liquid. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the grapefruit segments and arils; add cilantro and scallions to taste.
Note: This recipe also works well with sea scallops (quartered before adding to the base), Arctic Char and Pacific Rockfish.
*For 1 cup of juice, cut 2–3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
**To prepare fresh arils, score 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve ¾ cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)