- 2 cups juice from POM Wonderful Pomegranates
- (or 2 cups POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice)
- 3½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 Thai chili, split
- ½ cup arils from POM Wonderful Pomegranates
- (or ½ cup POM POMS Fresh Arils)
- 8 pieces sourdough bread, sliced ½" thick
- 2 lbs. fresh mozzarella or bocconcini (fresh mozzarella balls)
- sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh basil leaves
- Prepare fresh pomegranate juice, if necessary.*
- Combine pomegranate juice, sugar and Thai chili in a pot. Reduce until sweet and sour flavors are balanced and it is thick in consistency.
- Strain through a fine strainer.
- Prepare fresh pomegranate arils, if necessary.**
- Drizzle olive oil on both sides of sliced sourdough. Grill until toasted on both sides.
- Season mozzarella with salt and black pepper, and drizzle with olive oil and POM Syrup. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and 1 tablespoon arils per serving.
- Serve with a piece of grilled sourdough bread.
*For 2 cups of juice, cut 4–6 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
**To prepare fresh arils, score 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve ½ cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)